Monday, May 18, 2020

Desire of Our Soul - Psalms 11-16


In the path of Your judgments, O Lord, we wait for You; Your name and remembrance are the desire of our soul. My soul yearns for You in the night; my spirit within me earnestly seeks You. For when Your judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness. Isaiah 26:7-9

Lots of people are talking about the “new normal” – What is it? What will it look like? Who gets to say?

We find ourselves faced with questions and dilemmas unlike any we personally have faced before. It seems like everyone has a different perspective and opinion. The ground feels soggy beneath our feet, the truth seems malleable, and the way forward feels uncertain and full of danger.

What is God doing? We have only to look to the Scriptures where God’s nature and ways are revealed to find the answer to that question.

My God LOOKS FOR THOSE WHO WILL SEEK HIM:

The Lord is in His holy temple; the Lord’s throne is in heaven; His eyes see, His eyelids test the children of man. Psalm 11:4
The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. Psalm 14:2

But Psalm 14 makes it clear –
…there is none who does good, not even one. (v.3)

“But God…” – Two little words that hold an abundance of hope for all who put their trust in Christ… HE has intervened on our behalf! HE has purchased salvation for His people! Oh, praise His name! May He be glorified forever!! My God is unchanged, but oh my sister, how He changes us! Because of His salvation, we can know –

My God is PRESENT:

…for God is with the generation of the righteous. Psalm 14:5

My God is a REFUGE and place of SAFETY:

…but the Lord is his refuge. Psalm 14:6
 Because the poor are plundered, because the needy groan, ‘I will now arise,’ says the Lord; “I will place him in the safety for which he longs.” Psalm 12:5

My God RESTORES:

Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion! When the Lord restores the fortunes of His people, let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad. Psalm 14:7

The world may be changing, but my God has NOT changed! His steadfast love and salvation are unrelenting. What must our response to such a great God be?

My God is STEADFAST LOVE and SALVATION:

But I have trusted in Your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. Psalm 13:5

I will TRUST Him. I will REJOICE in Him. The ground is NOT soggy under the feet of God’s children. Our way forward is NOT uncertain. We have no cause for fear. Though we might not see it – He does! He sees. He hears. He answers. Our path is firm. Our way is sure. He tests us so that we will grow in righteousness.

My God TESTS:

The Lord tests the righteous… For the Lord is righteous; He loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold His face. Psalm 11:5a & 7

I’m not sure who said it, but this quote comes to mind: “God is the One who measures the chain that determines the boundaries of the lion who seeks to devour us. He does so with great thought, great care and great love.”

My God does not unleash trouble and then stand back to watch. He is actively involved to bring victory and glory to His name. He shelters His people, and He calls us to praise.

My God is WORTHY:

I will give to the Lord the thanks due to His righteousness, and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High. Psalm 7:17
 I will sing to the Lord, because He has dealt bountifully with me. Psalm 13:6

My God is MY PORTION:

The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; You hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. Psalm 16:5-6

I choose Jesus daily because He chose me at the cross. No matter what circumstances I face, He holds my future, my present, and my past in His hands of love. My hope is firm in Him. Indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance in Christ!

When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
“It is well, it is well with my soul!”

This passage often comforts my heart:
Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall! My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me. But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope:
 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.
 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in Him.”
 The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. (Lamentations 3:19-26)

Oh Lord God, may Your name and remembrance ever be the desire of our soul!

Be sure to watch or listen to the sermon from this Sunday! You can find it at

Don't forget to share in the comments below how God has revealed Himself to you this week!

Next week: Psalms 16-20

“The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.” (Philippians 4:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment