Monday, March 30, 2020

Feasting on the Word - Psalm 18


Psalm 18:1-3

I love You, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.

Have you taken your vitamins today? We take vitamin supplements to build up our bodies, boosting nutrients that we don’t otherwise get enough of. What about spiritual vitamins? Do we need that boost, too? We take in a steady diet of news, social media, thoughts and opinions of others, and we fix our eyes on the plate of our circumstances (a cross between twinkies and rat poison) only to discover it’s made us sick – depressed, lonely, frightened, overwhelmed, frustrated...
Perhaps a “supplement” of Scripture would help… But no, you can’t supplement a diet of twinkies with a great multi-vitamin and expect to be healthy. The truth found in God’s Word is not meant to be a supplement to a steady diet of earthly wisdom. It is instead, given for our daily sustenance. When we feast on it all day long, it satisfies our hunger and provides strength for each moment. The discovery of Christ in its pages leaves us rejoicing and grateful, full of love for God and ready to serve others.

Psalm 18:25-36
With the merciful You show Yourself merciful; with the blameless man You show Yourself blameless;
with the purified You show Yourself pure; and with the crooked You make Yourself seem tortuous.
For You save a humble people, but the haughty eyes You bring down.
For it is You who light my lamp; the Lord my God lightens my darkness.
For by You I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall.
This God – His way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; He is a shield for all those who take refuge in Him.
For who is God, but the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God? –
the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless.
He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
You have given me the shield of Your salvation, and Your right hand supported me, and Your gentleness made me great.
You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip.

So today I’m inviting you to feast on the wealth of nutrients in Psalm 18. Read it – the whole thing – savor it. Break it up over the next few days if that helps you to meditate on it more effectively. Ask some questions as you go:

  • How is God described?
  • What moved Him to act in this psalm?
  • What did He do?
  • In what ways do you see Him providing for His child?
  • How has He provided strength for you this past week?
  • How might you encourage others in this same way?


Psalm 18:46
The Lord lives, and blessed by my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation.

Psalm 18:1
I love You, O Lord, my strength!

Sisters, my prayer for you is this: May you take refuge in the Lord. May He be your sheltering place and your strength. May He purify you as He trains your hands for war. May you know His salvation and the strong support of His right hand. May you find peace, joy and satisfaction as you feast on His Word and reach out to others with the hope of Jesus.

“Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it.” I Thessalonians 5:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment